Wednesday, June 25

Buy it with your Wii Points

Unlike you, (and most of you would probably find this surprising, I'd think,) I once had an interest in American comics. That's not to say I've completely dissolved whatever's left of my love for American comics with whatever anythings I may have dissolved it with, but I just don't feel that same connection I once had with them.

One of the moar prominent reasons being the fact that I've seen the growth rate of individual comic prices rise from an affordably awesome twenty five cents to a freaking two to three whole dollars. Many of you will pass this off as, okay, whatever, that's quite bad, but okay, whatever. Um, so I think I should quickly inform those of you who don't keep up with American comics that the two to three dollars spent on a single comic is a segment of a story arc.

What does that mean exactly? It means that, if you'd liek to experience an entire story arc these days, you'd have to farm up at least sixty to a hundred and twenty five dollars as opposed to the six dollars of yore.

But that's beside the point. Anyone remember this game?

Comix Zone. Woo. This was, I believe, a sleeper hit. Nobody talks about it, nobody's played it and nobody knows about it. And of course, what I mean by nobody does not include hardcore, oldschool gamer nerds.

Comix Zone's premise was the pinnacle of ingenuity as far as the Genesis was concerned; it took 16-bit sidescrolling to a level where today's 1080P'd intense graphixx would have fallen flat. Taking advantage of the limitations of the Genesis, (well, limitations at the time it wasn't,) Comix Zone was built around a comic book-like structure. Your main, Sketch Turner, progressed through levels from panel to panel in a Spidey-like fashion.


Storyline aside, assuming you wouldn't want it anyway in an oldschool action-adventure game, (as it's not exactly the greatest storyline written, and actually is quite blah,) Comix Zone plays like a somewhat stiff MKII as far as battles go. That's not to say it's Tekken-stiff.

At any rate, I feel this game deserves some type of makeover--as every oldschool game does. Especially since, hey, everyone's wasting their time with all these crap games--I'm sure you can put a little time into a nice good oldschool reincarnation. Cause, um, really--Game Party 2, anyone?

So what am I trying to say here? Try it. Especially if at one point you too liked American comics. Though it's definitely not a triple-A platinum game and I don't believe it's on my top 100, (my top 100 has yet to be written out in chisel and stone,) it's a brilliant game with solid gameplay and deserves a bit more playtime with gamers nonetheless.

I first picked Comix Zone up at a local blockbuster and fell in love with its premise instantly for a simple reason: The game contained and was everything I loved at the time--which was simply games, and American comics. I think that was all that really mattered to me. Now everything's all complicated due to lolitasti--

I'll leave that to another post.

0 comments: